Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Hello 2023

I'm starting this year slowly. 

We had some hot weather in the last week of December. Early one morning I went out to water some young plants before the heat. Something bit my leg. I didn't notice at the time, but when I did I assumed it was a mosquito bite. However over the course of a day or so it became quite red, swollen and sore. Eventually I went to a doctor who prescribed antibiotics. I have now finished the course and the swelling and pain and most of the redness is gone, but there is still a pink patch about 5cm across which is itchy when something touches it. And my digestive system is very unhappy due to the antibiotics. I hope the new year starts looking up soon!

During December I started sorting out the mess in my sewing room which, like the rest of life, has been out of control over the last couple of years. I have made some progress but there is still a way to go.


At the beginning of 2020, I did a post about my unfinished projects.  My plan was to get some of them done that year. Ha ha! The only one I even touched was the last one on the list, that year's Quiltville mystery, Frolic. It became two quilts, the larger one finished in January 2021, and a smaller one made of the left-overs, finished in March 2021

Since then I have started several new projects, which I won't list here. Let's just say I have a lot to be going on with. In fact, in the course of cleaning up my sewing room I found 2 projects that weren't even in the document that I keep as a record of my progress. So my list of UFOs is longer than I thought it was.

The daylilies are looking good, though!

And the greenhouse is taking shape:

I'm not making any predictions about what I will or will not achieve this year.  No plans. With everything that life has thrown at me since the beginning of 2020, I think I will just take this year one day at a time.

Happy 2023, everyone.

9 comments:

Jeanette said...

Very sorry to hear about the mystery bite. I get that sort of reaction from some ant bites. Glad that it is slowly clearing up.
The daylilies are beautiful and look very happy about the new mulch.

ButterZ said...

A good way to be.

Julierose said...

Oh so sorry about your bout with the "bite"!! Nice that it is clearing up for you...antibiotics always play havo with my system, too;000
Those daylilies are so gorgeous--in those saturated colorways...
Grey and foggy here and in the high 40's --very warm for January in these parts...
Feel better soon--hugs, Julierose

Vivian said...

The one danger of being in the outdoors: bug bites. Sounds like maybe a tick bite. Glad it is healing but itchy is not a great sensation to have to try to live with. OMG a formal greenhouse, love it! We've long talked about having one in our community garden but don't have a good place to site one that we can build on a sturdy foundation. It's windy where we are and the small hobby one we tried as a trial version got blown right over! As long as you are enjoying life, it will be a good year!!

Maria said...

Do hope your leg is now completely healed.
so many beautiful flowers.
I think that's a good idea to not have a set plan.

chris said...

Your garden is amazing - it looks great no matter the season!

frommycraftroom said...

Sorry to hear about the bite - hope all good now.

I can empathise with the sewing space - mine is a little messy and endless WIP!

Pamela said...

Happy new year! You have such gorgeous flowers. The amazing thing is that you are so knowledgeable about them all.

Wendy said...

Taking One day at a Time sounds like 'A Plan'and one I too shall have to follow, especially after the last year we had!
Look forward to seeing what you put in the Glass House.
Cheers Wendy