Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Forgotten About

My sister went to a quilt show in Toowoomba last week, and sent me a few photos. This is the first one she sent:

That looks familiar! I had completely forgotten about Rhododendron Trail, last year's Bonnie Hunter mystery. How can that happen? 

On the 5th February I posted this photo of mine:

and said "The next step is an aqua border." Of course what really happened is that I put it away and forgot all about it. 

So now I have been reminded! I couldn't even remember where it was, but I found it and took it to a "sit and sew" day on Saturday. There I could lay it out and work out what I wanted to do for the borders. I should have taken some photos of that, but I didn't think of it at the time. 

Bonnie's original pattern has a flying geese border, which you will notice in the first photo that the unknown maker in Toowoomba left off all together. I had a bunch of flying geese made, but not enough to do the border the way Bonnie did. I didn't want to make more, so this is what I came up with:

I've sewn the flying geese together end to end. There will be a narrow aqua border between the top and these strips of flying geese. How narrow? There is not much of this aqua fabric left. I'm not quite sure how I will handle the corners, because the decision I make on the width of the aqua border will affect the size of the corner pieces.

Now I am trimming and stay-stitching the edges of the body of the quilt, ready to add the borders:

One side done.




11 comments:

Pamela said...

How cool to get a reminder and then get back to work on it! Yours looks great and I'll bet it will soon be finished.

Raewyn said...

It always amazes me when I forget about a quilt I have made/partially made!! Good solution with the Flying Geese...your quilt will look lovely!

Jeanette said...

Not at all surprised by left off borders or an abandoned top. These mystery quilts are so big and have so many little pieces I am always quite exhausted by the time I get to this last stage (if I do)

Love your clever goose solution. It will look terrific when it is finished (which is also terrific)

Maria said...

I think we all have some unfinished quilts tucked away…
Will be good to see yours finished with the fly geese border before the finally one.

Diane-crewe said...

It is so much fun to re-discover a project … and then change what you were going to do …. To suit who you are now x

conny's quilts en creaties said...

I'm smiling while reading. With relief, I must say, for I though I was the only one who forgot about a quilting project.....I am happy you found it and again are working on it. Good luck finishing this beauty.

Julierose said...

Oh that is looking really great !! I "lost" my summer Ojos in the depths of my UFO closet--so i understand how that could've happened!! ;000
Nice that you have begun the finishing work on this one as it is so pretty...hugs, julierose

ButterZ said...

Great job getting it out and working on it. I have not done very much of mine. I am going to take mine to our November retreat to work on it again. Your border idea is a good one.

Marie Králová said...

I like your solution to the problem. Looking forward to the whole quilt.
Marie

Ivani said...

Glad you was reminded about this beauty and is working on finishing it

Jan said...

its looking good! I have a few Of Bonnies mystery quilts that are unfinished, you've reminded me now lol!