Monday, June 27, 2022

June Happenings

Catching up with the second half of June (so far).

We were lucky that the monthly trip with the Field Naturalists Club, which is normally at the beginning of the month, was postponed due to dreadful weather. By the time it was rescheduled we were out of Covid isolation, so could attend.

Highlights of the day included a swan on its nest:

It could be the male or the female, they both incubate their eggs.

A wombat burrow:

We were in the Wombat State Forest, so it was nice to see evidence of wombats, even if we didn't see the actual animals. You can get an idea of the size of the burrow if you notice the field naturalists at the top left of the photo.

Slime moulds!

We saw several different coloured slime moulds. I was pretty excited by that, as I have never seen one before.

This cutie is an Eastern Yellow Robin (Eopsaltria australis):

The main focus of the outing was fungi, and we did see many many different species of them. I'll spare you the photos, though.
 

At home this is happening:

Who knew we needed more shed space?

I finished the Scrappy Mountain Majesties quilt with a blue-grey binding:

It is nice to cross something off my list. Then I took it to the guild's Sit and Sew day on Saturday, but the person who collects the donation quilts was away so it came home with me again. It was my first Sit and Sew day for a long long time. I wore a mask the whole time but no-one else did. We made little hexie rosettes as a gift for a member whose husband has just died. Here's mine:

I may do a couple more before they are collected next month.

My other sewing for the month has been blue bits for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I have not been very productive so far:

Given that I made one of these last year, this is not impressive. I do have the parts for two more hearts nearly ready. I have some squares and triangles prepared for the Scrappy Sprouts blocks, but haven't sewn any of them at all yet. There are a few more days left this month... next month is going to be purple, but I may be sewing blue as well to catch up.


I don't know what Blogger are doing with the comments process. It is frustrating when they keep changing things (seemingly for the worse) without warning or explanation. Some people's blogs still have the normal comment box, and I can easily comment on them. Others have a new process where there are 3 choices, Anonymous, Google Account, or Name/URL. I can comment on those by the Name/URL option. But some blogs have only Google Account as the method, and for those I cannot make it work. Unfortunately mine seems to be in this third category. I cannot comment on my own blog! I am logged in to my google account for my email, my calendar, and for blogger itself. But I just get an error message: "Unable to sign in to comment. Please check your browser configurations to allow sign-in."

If you are also unable to comment on my blog, I am sorry! I don't know if there is anything I can do to solve this, but I will look into it.


13 comments:

Pamela said...

The yellow robin is so cute. It looks like it was a great outing. The mountain quilt is fabulous and I’m sure the recipient will love it. I don’t know what is happening with comments either. It is frustrating.

Julierose said...

I was told to check off the "Pop up Window" on blogger comment section settings to avoid that problem...so far it has seemed to work...
The fauna you saw on your trip were amazing!! I've never heard of a slime mold actually--kind of icky looking!! Anyway--your quilt finish is beautiful--love that blue/gray binding, too.
The rosette for a friend is just lovely...what a great gift they will be...
We are having a rainy day here finally--so dry. Hoping that we will get more than a few showery spritzes which are our usual fare!!
Hugs, Julierose

Vireya said...

Thanks, Julierose, I'm giving that a try!

Jeanette said...

Rather special sightings on your field trip. How did you get the robin to sit so still for the photo?
Love the 3D quality the fabric choice gives to the rosette, perfect piecing too!
The argument for a studio space is getting stronger.

Maria said...

A wonderful day out , pleased you shared photos.
The Majestic Mountains is a beautiful gift.
Great blue blocks….
Thankfully I can comment on this post.

Ivani said...

Sounds you had a great day out Vireya and that you are smartest then the rest of the people.
Love that little Eastern Yellow Robin (Eopsaltria australis). Found a Youtube video with this cute bird and listen to his singing
< https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPmknJD7x0w>
Love your Mountain Magestic quilt. Congrats on a beautiful finish.
Your blue hearts are lovely.
Have a great week

Marie Králová said...

You had an interesting trip to nature. And you sewed such beautiful blocks again. I must write that commenting on some posts is a problem for me. M.

Marie Králová said...

You had an interesting trip to nature. And you sewed such beautiful blocks again. I must write that commenting on some posts is a problem for me. M.

Laura said...

Computers frustrate me. As soon as I learn how to do something, there is an update, and I have to figure out how to do it a different way. Love your RSC blocks!

Wendy said...

Doesn't everyone need more shed space? - even when we are supposed to be downsizing! ;)

Coburgcraftstuff said...

Great photos, esp the robin and the wombat hole! I have had the same annoying comments issue - I thought it was just me!

Needled Mom said...

It looks like a nice outing. Your Majestic Mountains looks great. The fussy cut hexies are spot on. Beautiful blue hearts for the month.

jacaranda said...

(Finally I can comment) A wonderful day out spotting bird life. Perhaps a studio out the back is the next project for G. to undertake. Another thing off your list, a beautiful quilt, well done.