Sunday, July 10, 2022

What's Been Going On?

How many times have I walked through this door without ever looking up to see the magpie stained glass window above it?

 

Late in June I had been called up for jury duty. I wasn't sure whether to be happy to get that insight into how the system works, or unhappy that I might have to listen to some horrible things and make difficult decisions. As it turned out I wasn't needed, so apart from watching the online orientation videos I didn't learn anything new about the justice system.

On the first of July I noticed the first of the jonquils was open:

On the 3rd of July we went on a field naturalist trip to Pittong and Happy Valley, areas about 30km west of our home.
Happy Valley got its name from the amount of gold found here. In the photo above you can see the effect of gold mining on the landscape. Despite the degraded landscape, we found lots of interesting native vegetation and fungi.
Stopping to take in the views across the volcanic plains.

On the 4th of July, I was driving to visit my mother when my phone rang, and it was the nursing home advising me that Mum had just tested positive for covid. Fortunately I was still able to visit her, I just had to wear the full PPE. In discussions with the nursing staff and the doctor, the decision was made to try Mum on one of the new antiviral medications. They weren't sure if she would be able to take it, as apparently the tablets are quite large. But she did, and as of today (6 days later) Mum is still with us, and has no fever or cough or other covid symptoms.

Some time during the week I made another hexagon rosette:

I've cut some purple squares for this month's RSC blocks:

Smaller ones for hearts, larger for "sprouts" blocks. But I haven't done any sewing of them yet.

The extra shed is progressing:

 

For various reasons I have not been to a hairdresser for nearly nine months. My hair has been driving me crazy, and this morning I decided I couldn't make it look worse than it was, so I did this:

The end result is probably a bit mullet-like, as it is easier to cut the hair at the front than at the back! At least it is not in my eyes any more, and if it does look a bit weird, I'm not the one who has to look at it. One day I will find a new hairdresser and they can turn it back into a proper hairstyle.
 

Today has been a lovely sunny winter day, so to finish off, here is a part of the garden glowing in the sun this afternoon:


 

10 comments:

Pamela said...

I’m glad to hear the antivirals did their job and your mom has no symptoms.

Your cutting your own hair makes me smile. My hair is very long and I’m rather frugal, so a couple times a year I cut a couple inches off the bottom.

I want to join you on the field naturalist trips! I am always amazed by how much you know.

About 35 years ago I was called for jury duty and chosen for a criminal trial. It was so interesting! I ended up going to law school the next year!

Coburgcraftstuff said...

Growing up in Bendigo you could see the remains of old diggings throughout the bush areas - we drove through Eaglehawk on the long weekend & the mullock heaps still looked the same! Glad to antivirals worked & your Mum is going ok.
I haven’t been to the hairdresser since Jan 2020, I just trim my fringe every 6 weeks or so - have got quicker at braiding my hair now!

Maria said...

Pleased the new medication worked for your Mum.
nice Hexies and lovely flowers in your yard.

Laura said...

So glad to hear your mom got through Covid ok! You are so brave to cut your own hair. I go to a woman whose husband also has cancer, so she is very careful. Most of the time it is just the two of us in the shop, and we both wear masks.

Julierose said...

Happy that your Mum is able to tolerate the Covid meds; sorry that she has it though!! I have, over the years, cut my own hair too...especially my bangs which for some reason always seem to grow faster than any other part!!
Neat hexies you've cut out take care of yourself now ;)))
hugs, Julierose

Marie Králová said...

I'm glad your mom is taking the new medicine. I like your trips in the area. So many interesting experiences. Marie

Jeanette said...

What a happy post from beginning to end. Good news about your Mum's Covid experience in that she has come through it all quite well.
As long as you have sharp scissors and keep them away from your eyes, self hair cutting seems to be quite achievable. Well done!

Wendy said...

Hi Vireya,
2 Questions:
Where is the Magpie window?
Do you know why you need another shed yet?
;)
Cheers Wendy

jacaranda said...

You have been busy.
Proud of you cutting your own hair, looking forward to seeing it.
I haven't been called for Jury duty in years, DH gets called every 2 years.
Your excursions are wonderful, you get to see so much on your days out.

Andee Neff said...

The hexies are cute with those directional fabrics!