Saturday, July 30, 2022

Peacefulness

This morning I learned from Pamela in Japan that 30th July is World Embroidery Day. So this afternoon this is what I did:

I worked on my Ukrainian bookmark (pattern here) while sitting beside my mother.  A quiet CD of piano music played in the background, and one of the staff had set up a diffuser (the glow you can see on the shelf) with a "calming" aromatherapy oil. The quilt on her bed is one she made. It was much brighter when I first took it to her in hospital in February 2020, when she was moved to palliative care. It was to brighten up the hospital room and make it feel more like home for her last few days. When she recovered the quilt went with her as she moved to the "complex care" centre, and then to the nursing home. It has been through the wash many times since then and is quite faded now. My mother is also fading. She is once more in palliative care, but she is not going to bounce back this time.


10 comments:

ButterZ said...

Thinking of you Vireya. It is a very hard time for you.

Jeanette said...

How fortunate your mother is to be surrounded by people who watch over her with such love.

Julierose said...

Nice that you could keep her company while you stitched--it's so hard at the ending--I hope she is at peace and that you are too
hugs and prayers, Julierose

Ivani said...

Your enbroidery is beautiful. Today is also the Internation Friendship Day. And I am very thankful for your friendship during so many years. My prayers and good thoughts are with you and your Mom.

jacaranda said...

Thinking of you Vireya and your family, I hope your mum is resting peacefully.
Pleased that she has you by her side.

Dee said...

Hugs Vireya.

Pamela said...

I imagine this is a difficult time for you, but in the future, you will be thankful that you had this time with her. Be good to yourself.

Marie Králová said...

You manage to embroider a nice embroidery. May your mother do better. Marie

Maria said...

Lovely to be able to sit next to your Mum and stitch.
Lots of hugs for you at this time for you Vireya.

Laura said...

I am sorry to hear this about your mom. Hugs to you!