Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Autumn Begins

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge colour for March is yellow, and I have made a start:

I have plenty more yellow scraps, but this has been put on hold for a moment because I've been asked to make some blocks for another project.

This is one of 12 blocks I am making (and I should have lined it up straight on the cutting board before taking the photo!):

They involve very careful cutting and piecing, because if that diamond shape in the middle doesn't line up exactly the whole block looks terrible. The first one I did is out by a bit and I'm not sure what to do. There is no spare fabric. I was given just enough to make the 12 blocks. Some other quilters are making blocks as well, which will be combined to make a quilt for someone's special birthday. 


In the garden, the autumn bulbs are popping into flower:

And if summer is over, it is time to take down the shade sails:

I forgot to take a "before" photo, but you can see what they look like in this post from when they were first installed.





7 comments:

Julierose said...

We are having some slightly warmer days--but I know that winter has not yet blown its last storm at us...

Your piecing looks lovely; this appears to be a very tough one to make so that the seams meet just right... good luck...
hugs, Julierose

Laura said...

That block with the diamond in the middle looks challenging! You did a great job with the piecing.

Ivani said...

Beautiful yellow blocks, Vireya. The sprouts blocks are on my wish to do list, maybe one day.
The diamond block looks simple but is a challenge one, this one you made is pretty good.

Jeanette said...

A brave choice of block for a group quilt. In my experience these usually result in blocks made in all sorts of measurements requiring creative assembling. Yours looks perfect!

Maria said...

Lovely yellow RSC blocks and the diamond block looks challenging.

Marie Králová said...

The yellow color shines beautifully on the hearts. The diamond block is perfectly sewn.
Marie

Pamela said...

The RSC blocks are gorgeous. I think this project is very appealing because it is so organized. I’m very tempted to join.