Thursday, March 24, 2022

Ten Kilos of Stuff

First, my white crepe myrtle has started flowering!

 

Some time late last year, I was offered "some fabric". The offer was made so long ago that I don't remember if the idea was that it could be useful for donation quilts, or if the person offering thought I might want it for myself. I also don't remember where it had come from or how it came to be available.

Then the omicron wave arrived, and the person who had the fabric also had covid, and I was staying away from people, so the fabric was forgotten about. But this week I finally arranged to collect it.

It turned out to be a large polypropylene bag, full of nearly 10kg of stuff. There are some books, two pre-cut quilt kits, several half-made projects, and quite a lot of fabric.

This kit tempted me to dive in straight away:

The original owner had started working on it. On the left-hand side under the pattern, there a bunch of scrunched-up sewn components. Here they are after I untangled and pressed them:

They are all there, although I haven't measured them yet. I think the original owner had some problems with their machine, as some of the seams are a bit dodgy.

They had only made a couple of the next component, so that's what I've started working on:

Joining the black and ecru quarter-square triangles, then adding a stripy trapezium, to make 48 of the next component. After this I will be ready to assemble blocks.

My thinking is that rather than make up the whole kit into one quilt, I will use the components to make 2 or 3 smaller donation quilts. We'll see how that goes...



8 comments:

Pamela said...

What a great gift, and surprise. I’m sure whoever receives the donation quilts will be very happy.

Jeanette said...

Looks like the fabric etc has gone to the right person. Have fun!

Julierose said...

Wonderful gift! [your title reminds me of how my craft room looks these days!! Not being able to get in there and put things away...yikes!]
those pieces look really intriguing--Have fun ;)))
hugs, Julierose

Laura said...

Enjoy your 'new' stash!

Needled Mom said...

That looks like a great gift! I’m excited to see the blocks assembled.

Cheryll said...

Looking forward to seeing this one. The pattern interests me too...xox

Maria said...

Oh what a fun filled bag of surprises …
That is a gorgeous quilt you’re working on….enjoy!

Vivian said...

Oh what fun it is find a bag that's full of stash! This one should be fun and make some great donation quilts.