Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Heading off the Trail

For week three of the Rhododendron Trail mystery quilt, I have wandered off the path to do my own thing.

Rhododendron Trail is this year's Quiltville mystery. For this clue Bonnie asked us to add triangle wings to the HST from the first clue. I wasn't interested in cutting and sewing a bunch of triangles, so I've done it this way instead. Rectangles are added to each of the HST squares, then sewn to another unit to make a larger rectangle. The method is sometimes called "Mary's Triangles", and you can see a nice description of it here.


Back view - see how the seam allowance has to be clipped in the middle to allow this unit to be pressed flat?

The next step to make this look like Bonnie's would be to cut these units apart into two triangles. But I'm not going to do that just yet. I'm going to wait and see what the week 3 units get joined to, because it may just be possible for me to do that joining BEFORE I cut them apart, avoiding even more triangles.

Once I had finished sewing all of these, I re-read the instructions and found I needed a bunch of neutral squares as well, so I had to go back and cut them too:

More or less ready for step 4 on Saturday!


5 comments:

Maria said...

Good to find an easier way to make the blocks….

Julierose said...

Neat alteration--I am not a huge triangle fan myself--the flip ones are ok--but I'd rather just avoid them altogether...smart move to wait and see...pretty pinks hugs, Julierose

Jeanette said...

Wise move. Hope these units are not left hanging for long. Your colours are really pretty.

Pamela said...

I like the option of doing your own thing. These colors make me think of cotton candy.

jacaranda said...

This quilt is looking pretty and like the way you have done your own thing.