Monday, December 27, 2021

An Afternoon Stroll

Took a walk this afternoon through a park we haven't visited before, at Kirk's Reservoir, which is part of Ballarat's water supply.

It is a lovely spot for a walk but dogs aren't allowed.
 

There are lots of ornamental trees that must have been planted many years ago, such as a huge cedar:

The cones seemed to be dripping sap. I don't know if that is normal?
 

On the way home we stopped to make sure this echidna got across the road safely:

It didn't just walk straight across, but at an angle which meant it was on the road much longer. Fortunately no other cars came along until it was off the road.
But I watched to make sure it was not going to turn back towards the road. I suppose it knew where it was going, but my heart was in my mouth until it headed off into the grass and undergrowth.
Phew!


7 comments:

Julierose said...

I kind of looks a bit like our porcupine...lovely place for a stroll...hugs, Julierose

Marie Králová said...

It was a beautiful walk. Marie

Jeanette said...

Echidna walk with such purpose. I do the same when I spot one near the road, just watch until they are well clear. Capped off a lovely day for you.

Dee said...

It is perfectly normal for pinecones to drip sap. Just don't get it on you or your clothes! Ask me how I know.

Pamela said...

I’ve never seen an echidna in person. How cool that you see one so close!

Needledmom said...

That looks like a great place for a walk. Interesting looking character there. Does it use those spears as defense like our porcupines?

Wendy said...

We stopped for one once who decided he was going to burrow into the asphalt instead!
It was a long wait. :)