Sunday, October 31, 2021

WOOFA Report

I made a little bit of progress on a project this month, and had one bright idea.

I basted my Plaid-ish quilt top 3 weeks ago, then in the week after that I stitched in the ditch between the blocks, but didn't take any photos of that.

I couldn't really decide how I wanted to quilt it, but yesterday afternoon I thought I better just jump in and do something. So I started quilting some circles:

I'm using my Westalee "Circles on Quilts" rulers. These rulers rotate around a pin, which goes in from the back of the quilt, leaving the sharp pointy bit sticking up. No matter how careful I am, I always manage to stab myself on that pointy pin. But can you see my bright idea in the photo above? The black thing is a rubber pin back off one of my enamel pin badges. No more holes in my fingers! It was much easier not having to constantly worry about where the pin was. I wonder why the company never included any protective stopper for that pin?

I've now quilted about 20% of the quilt, so it will be a while before I can cross this one off my list:

Didn't stab myself once while quilting these circles!

Linked to Cheryll's WOOFA Link-up Party. I'm sure other people will have achieved more than me this month, but I have made some progress, and also solved a problem, so the month wasn't a write-off.

12 comments:

Jeanette said...

Great idea and so simple. If you were in a workplace you would have walked out over that hazard. The circles look great. Pin is doing its job because I cannot see the joins.

Cheryll said...

That's a brilliant method to make perfect circles.
Well done & THANKS for linking to Woofa...xox

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Wow the circles are looking great! I bought a set of rulers to quilt with and I just don't have the patience for them.....I've not given up on them yet but I want to go as quickly as the ads that show other people using them and it just isn't working......lol

Pamela said...

What a great idea!

Jeanna said...

Great solution to the sharp point problem. Your quilting is looking so pretty.

jacaranda said...

What a great way to quilt circles, I have never heard of this template before.

ButterZ said...

Great work with the circles

Maria said...

Great idea with the pin to cover the sharp point…
I’ve never seen those rulers.. wanted to do some circle ⭕️ quilting and after 6 attempts I gave up……yours look great.

Marie Králová said...

Nice quilting in a circle. Marie

Vivian said...

Don't you just love the Westalee Circle rulers? I was also able to make great Baptist Fans using them. What a great tip for covering the positioning pin -- I'm going to go look for one to put with my rulers today. You'll be done with your WOOFA before you know it!

Ivani said...

Great circles. I have seeing this ruler before, but thought it was for longarm quilting only.

Raewyn said...

A brilliant idea, Vireya, I will hunt out a wee cap for mine :-)