Friday, October 8, 2021

Sights of October (So Far)

We've been in lockdown for the last week, and still don't know if it will be lifted at midnight tonight (as I was typing that it was announced that our lockdown is lifting. Hooray for us, bad luck for Mildura, who are heading back into lockdown.)

Here are some very random photos of things from the last week. Particularly random as Blogger has loaded them in no order whatsoever.

Crabapple tree glowing in the sun this afternoon:

 

Deciduous azalea:

We have (or had) 3 of these from memory, but they failed to thrive and were moved to a different spot then overgrown and forgotten about. But one of them is still with us, and popped up a couple of flowers for the first time!

A house we walked past this morning, that I haven't seen before. Their garden looked great, so I snapped a couple of photos to try to work out what plants they had that were doing well in our climate:

This one isn't very informative.

My redbud is flowering. This photo was some days ago, and more flowers are open now. I missed getting a photo in the sun today, so this one will have to do for now:

 

The yellow flowers here are several species of plants common called "egg and bacon" plants:

They cover parts of our block and look great at this time of year. For the rest of the year you hardly notice them.


This is a photo of something you don't often see:

Not a great photo, but it is the back end of a baby seagull testing its wings. I've heard people ask, "Why do you never see baby seagulls?", and the standard answer is that they breed on off-shore islands. That might be the case near the coast, but seagulls that live a long way inland have to improvise. There is a seagull rookery on the roof of a building in the centre of Ballarat. How did I see that while locked down? I was able to go to work on Tuesday as an "Authorised Worker".

And last, but a long way from least, a wild animal seen on our daily walk on Wednesday:

An echidna!


Now that we are out of lockdown again, I will be able to visit my mother tomorrow. This afternoon I finished some pressing tasks that were hanging over me, so I may even be able to get back into my sewing room soon too.


9 comments:

ButterZ said...

Enjoy your freedom. It’s our turn now.

Love the echidna

Turid said...

What beautiful autumn photos. I love the colors this time of the year. Bad with your lock downs, but hopefully it will take an end soon. Here in Norway we're finished for now. I actually went to my first quilt retreat after covid last weekend. Have a nice time with your mother.

Jeanette said...

I thought the baby seagull was a possum doing a hand stand! Love the egg and bacon plants that are flowering everywhere at the moment. You won the lockdown lottery today! Enjoy tomorrows visit.

Julierose said...

Love that redbud color!! Nice that you are coming out of lockdown. Hugs for a great weekend...Julierose

Cheryll said...

thanks for the garden visit... your plot looks lovely...xox

jacaranda said...

Enjoy your visit with your mum.

Coburgcraftstuff said...

I grew up in Bendigo with Egg and Bacon plants everywhere in the bush! Many people have never heard of them! Love the baby seagull, I think I the only time I have seen one was at Philip Island a few years ago, they are indeed a very rare sighting.

Pamela said...

Hope you had a nice visit with your mother. I love seeing your plants and animals. I have never heard of egg and bacon plants.

Wendy said...

Well that's a first for me - never seen a Baby Seagull either!
I have lost count of how many more weeks of Lockdown we have to go - Feeling like Groundhog day!