Saturday, October 30, 2021

The Rest of October

 October has flown by.

A couple of weeks ago we visited a new section of Woowookarung Regional Park, where a wildflower trail had been set up.

We enjoyed exploring a new place

and so did the dogs:

Notice the "egg and bacon" plants in the background? Here's what one variety looks like close up:

Golden bush-pea, Pultenaea gunnii.

 

This month there were two big events I was planning to be involved in which were cancelled when it became obvious that the covid outbreak wasn't going to allow them to happen. Maybe next year we can plan to do things without fear of them having to be cancelled?


One thing that we could get involved in was the Great Southern BioBlitz on iNaturalist between 22nd and 25th Oct. Cities and regions all over the southern hemisphere "competed", although Cape Town managed to win by a mile:

We visited a different local spot each day of the BioBlitz, photographing as many species as we could.

At Lal Lal Falls

we got caught in the rain, but Jack found us this amazing fungus:
It is called "Devils Fingers", Clathrus archeri, and apparently smells like rotting flesh, which is why a dog was interested in it! I didn't get my nose close enough to experience that for myself.

Near the Gong Gong reservoir we saw two swamp wallabies:


And then after the BioBlitz was over, we found two different varieties of sun orchid flowering on our block for the first time ever:


I'm sure it's not the first time they've been here, it is just the first time we have noticed them flower.


Almost 6 months after my father died, I have just about managed to get Mum access to her money. Dad did all the banking and bill-paying, with Mum not having even an ATM card. There is a Power of Attorney document naming me, but it had a condition in it which has been very hard to fulfill. But I think soon I will be able to get Mum some cash, and also pay her bills. It is incredible how difficult this has been every step of the way.


We had a big storm a couple of nights ago. Trees came down all over the place, although at our place the main thing that came down was two baby ringtail possums whose drey blew out of their tree and landed on the road. We took them to the local vet so that they could be collected by a wildlife carer:


Our covid numbers this month have been higher than ever, but because we now have 80% of the population double-vaccinated, lockdowns have lifted.  People from Melbourne are now allowed to travel into regional areas, but I think I'll still be staying home and avoiding any crowds for a while yet.

And that is about it for October. This afternoon I entered my sewing room for the first time in a couple of weeks. I'll save that for the end of the month tomorrow.


9 comments:

ButterZ said...

Oh that is so stressful I hope things have become a bit easier for you now.

hetty said...

One thing is certain. Life is full of stress. Take time to breathe. My young grandson (just turned 7) found a baby squirrel in the woods beside his house. It needed to be bottle fed which my daughter couldn't do. They brought it to a wildlife rescue centre and after answering a million of William's questions, he agreed to leave it there. They have about 300 squirrels at the moment, both adult and babies. He was convinced that it would be happy there because it would be with its friends.

hetty said...

Our Covid numbers are fairly low at the moment, but winter is coming. Things may change. Tonight my daughter and William are going to a Blue Jays hockey game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for their safety.

Marie Králová said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie Králová said...

I fully understand you. I'm also dealing with a money problem after my mother's death. Bureaucracy rules all over the world. Thanks for a nice report from nature. Marie

Cheryll said...

I hope all the financial problems get resolved ASAP.
Lovely walk you took us on but a shame some plans were cancelled... xox

Maria said...

Always nice to go discovering with you…
Hope you’ve sorted Mum now. So important to have things put in place properly…..
Pleased you saved the baby possums

Pamela said...

You have been busy. It must have been a treat to be out and about. The dogs look very happy. That fungus looks like a devil. The wildlife and wildflowers are so interesting.

Vivian said...

So good you are there to support your Mum through all this. It will all get straightened out in time --- I wish I could say the same for the pandemic! I hadn't realized possums nest in trees, I've only ever seen them scurrying along the ground so just assumed they burrowed like our ground hogs.