Friday, October 1, 2021

Lockdown Lottery

Two weeks ago I won the lockdown lottery when Moorabool wasn't locked down and I could go orchid hunting. Today I lost the lottery, and Moorabool is going back into lockdown from midnight for 7 days. In general I don't mind staying at home, but Monday is my mother's 93rd birthday, so this lockdown means I will not be able to visit her. My sister and her family are not in a locked down municipality, but none of them are fully vaccinated. That means no-one will be able to visit Mum on the day.

Fortunately I had her birthday gift ready, so this afternoon I was able to pop over and give it to her before the lockdown starts.

She was in the dining room ready for dinner, so I couldn't give her a sneaky hug. I know the pandemic has caused much more pain and suffering than a missed birthday, but I'm upset about this one. I hope we will be able to have a family gathering at Christmas time.


As I left I took a photo through the fence of the pot of bulbs I put outside Mum's window so that she would have something interesting to look at during previous lockdowns. There were some daffodils, but they flowered during a time when we weren't allowed to visit. Spring stars and tulips are out now:

The tulips haven't grown very tall for some reason, but Mum can see the red of them from her window. 





8 comments:

conny's quilts en creaties said...

Covid is difficult and lonely for many old people. Great that you could visit her before another lockdown. Take care.

Julierose said...

Happy to hear you got to visit your Mom before lockdown;
but I can understand your being upset to have to miss her birthday;(((
Covid has been so difficult for so many of us...
Pretty red tulips amongst the green leaves with those patches of white flowers...
Take care hugs, Julierose

Jeanette said...

So good that you could make a flying visit, and that you were already prepared. A difficult and confusing time for the elderly locked up in their homes. The pot of bulbs is a beautiful thought.

ButterZ said...

I seemed to have missed a few of your posts. It is hard to not being able to see family. The flowers are pretty though.

jacaranda said...

Happy birthday to your Mum. Lovely idea of the bulbs for your mother to look at through her window.

Pamela said...

Nice that you could make a visit before the lockdown began, but I understand the disappointment of not being able to visit on the day of her birthday. With more people getting vaccinated, I do hope we can have a more normal Christmas this year. A sweet idea to put the flowers outside where she can see them.

Maria said...

Sorry you had to miss Mum's BD but she does have some pretty blooms to look at.

Ivani said...

Happy and Healthy Birthday to your mom. The flowers outside her window was a neat idea. Sorry to know about another lockdown in your area. It seems they are working to control the numbers. Here begun the 3rd shot for +60 people whose got the 2nd shot 6 months ago. My husband will get it this month.