Saturday, August 17, 2013

Bendigo Trip

Went to Bendigo to celebrate a birthday:

Across the road from the restaurant is a park with a host of golden daffodils:
Also several other beautiful and unusual flowers which I am keeping up my sleeve for the next Scatterday (flowers beginning with E). All will be revealed on 31st August...

A number of trees in part of the park look like this:
Covered in hundreds (or maybe thousands) of grey-headed flying foxes, Pteropus poliocephalus.  It was hard to get a good photo of them as they were so high up and silhouetted against the sky. But at least in the shot below you can see their cute fuzzy bodies:

3 comments:

Lee said...

Happy Birthday to whomever is celebrating the day. :) Daffodils are among my most favorite of flowers, beautiful! I've not heard of flying foxes before, and recognizing they are bats, it is both awesome and a bit creepy at the same time. We don't see many bats here, ours our a smaller variety. I suppose our climate is too dry and doesn't produce enough bugs for large bat populations.

jacaranda said...

Daffodils are also my favourite flower. Wanted them for my wedding but the florist told me that they were unlucky for brides. Wonderful birthday cake, hope the lucky birthday person had a great night.

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Those daffodils look beautiful! I can't say the same for the flying foxes though. There's a lot of them that's for sure.