Wednesday, April 2, 2014

What's in Flower - April

Warning - lots of flowers ahead! Here's everything flowering in my garden today, and there are even more than last month.

Rosa "Queen Elizabeth":

Rosemary:

The lilac crepe myrtles are just about finished:

But the deep pink one is still going strong:

New this month, the sasanqua camellias. This one is "Showa No Sakae":
There is another one just starting to flower too, but it looks pretty much the same as this and I'm not sure of its name.

Gaura lindheimeri "Whirling Butterflies":
Gaura lindheimeri "Siskiyou Pink":

Dahlia "Marie Antoinette":
There are buds on the Mystic Star dahlias, but none open today.

Lavender:

Verbena "Candy Cane":

Pink trumpet vine (Podranea ricasoliana) is nearly finished:

Another new one - night-scented jessamine, Cestrum nocturnum, has been perfuming the night air for the last couple of weeks.
It is lovely to have a window open and sleep in a room filled with its scent. In previous years it has flowered when the nights were too hot to have the windows open, but this year it has waited until just the right time.

Salvia "Indigo Spires":
Bees do love the salvias.

I had to search for a flower on the fringe flowers, Loropetalum chinense var rubrum, which surprised me:
I was expecting them to have more flowers this month than last, not fewer.

Mexican sage (Salvia leucantha):

Salvia "Mystic Spires Blue" has been flowering since June. I thought it was just about finished last month, but here it is again:

Red valerian or kiss-me-quick (Centranthus ruber):

This sedum was just starting to flower last month and has almost completely finished now, but fortunately one small piece still has open flowers:

The last of the belladonna lilies (Amaryllis belladonna):

Vireya "Chayya" is new this month:
But vireya "Princess Alexandra" is now in her eighth month of flowering:

Bromeliad (Aechmea fasciata):

Another new one, a callistemon popping open:
I don't know which variety it is, unfortunately.

The mint is still going:

The lemon tree is another new one:

And last of all, a succulent which may be a species of Pachyphytum:

Actually it is not quite all, because the "4 o'clock plant" (Mirabilis jalapa) is still flowering, but they were all closed when I took these photos this morning.

1 comment:

Lee said...

What lovely blooms! Thank you for sharing. I've been here in the (U.S.) Pacific Northwest since 2/2 (except for a 1 week return home) and have been enjoying the many, many blooms and blossoms I use to see as a child. I'd forgotten how abundant the daffodils are. They are fading now, and the tulips are opening. There are plants of which I know not their names, but all are lovely...I don't want to leave to go home to the dry, arid southland. I'm here for at least the next 2 weeks, perhaps longer, so will enjoy more of a real Spring than I've seen in 42 years, since I moved away.