Friday, April 15, 2022

The Garden in April

I started photographing the April flowers this morning, then finished late in the day after a walk near Lal Lal Falls.

Morning dahlia:

Late afternoon dahlia in a different part of the garden:

Not great photo of a canna, but just as a record for myself as I think I have forgotten them in previous months:

Rose:

Salvia, with a few roses round the edges:


Penstemon:


Last of the propeller plant flowers:
Two different, but apparently almost the same, leucadendrons:
This melaleuca that I have never found the tag for, but which Dee identified last month as most likely Melaleuca coccinea:

Thank you, Dee!

The 5th crepe myrtle has developed buds on one branch:

But as its leaves are already turning red, I don't think there will be any flowers on this one this year.

Eremophila:

 

Part of the garden across the front of the house, with lavender, salvias and treasure flowers visible:

Then it was lunchtime, and after that we took at walk at Lal Lal Falls, where there was precisely zero water:

This is the view from the top of the falls, which you can compare with a shot from the same point 5 years ago here.

Shot of the reservoir as seen from the walking trail:

Back to the garden. I have to include this one sad flower:

It is the very last of this year's sweet pea flowers. I've never seen one hang on till autumn before. The new crop for later this year is already coming up.

The saffron crocuses are appearing, one or two each day:

Thryptomene:

Rosemary:

Hollyhocks, foxgloves and cosmos coming to the end of their flowering period:

I'll finish with this pretty nerine hybrid:

There are other flowers around the garden. Lots of pelargoniums. The abutilons are just starting, the Viburnum tinus is flowering, there are flowers on blue chalksticks and echeverias. Some of the hebes have flowers. But this post is long enough I think!


9 comments:

Ivani said...

I am never tired of seeing your beautiful flowers, Vireya.
There is no water on Lal Lal Falls, I am impressed as I remember seeing photos you took before with a great volume of water. Hope you had a Happy Easter.

Andee Neff said...

So many gorgeous flowers. Spring is coming!

Julierose said...

You have such a lovely variety of blooms--so pretty thanks for sharing hugs, Julierose

Pamela said...

I’m always in awe of your beautiful garden!

Jeanette said...

Your dahlia photos are looks beautiful, the dark foliage sets them off so well. Always amazed by how many happy flowering plants in your garden. I can see them now dancing in the rain (I hope)

chris said...

Love your photos - thanks for taking the time.

jacaranda said...

Love your beautiful garden, so many varieties to make us smile.

Diana Studer said...

Also eyeing dry streams when we are out walking. Maybe we will get a millimetre tomorrow?

Vivian said...

So, so, so pretty! Funny I didn't see any of the Crocus come up for us here this year but maybe I wasn't out in the garden when they did. Love the familiar Foxgloves but the Dahlia I only know from quilting, LOL! Wow, the dry stream --- always scary to witness first hand the effects of climate changes.