Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Autumn Colour and Some Slow Sewing

I took this photo of the "October Glory" Lipstick maple a couple of weeks ago:

Beautiful colour! It really should have been renamed "April Glory" for the southern hemisphere. But all the leaves have fallen off now, so I'm glad I got a shot while it looked so good.

Here's my ginkgo that same day:

It doesn't look much different today.

The largest crepe myrtle has lost some leaves without me getting a shot of it at its best, so here's the second largest one today:

The tupelo I bought when at a quilting retreat 3 years ago (that feels like a very long time ago, so much has happened since) hasn't grown a lot, but at least it is giving me a bit of colour this year:


 The liquidambar is red at the base, but is losing a lot of leaves before they turn red:

Last month Pamela posted about a Ukrainian cross-stitch bookmark she was beginning, which is a free pattern from Cliffside Stitches. She finished it quickly, and then used it as a decorative panel on a bag.  I decided to make it as well, although I haven't decided yet what I will turn it into when it is done.

Here it was a couple of days ago:

And this is how it looks tonight:
Cross-stitch is a very calming activity, and I'm enjoying spending 15-30 minutes each day immersing myself in it.





7 comments:

jacaranda said...

Beautiful autumn colours. Lovely cross stitch, your time each day must be relaxing. Perhaps you could make a pin cushion.

Laura said...

Love to see the fall colors!

Jeanette said...

Autumn colour change seems to have slowed down here too. Your cross stitch shows promise, a quiet time stitching each day is very calming. A weaver I follow has been making a woven band by a Ukrainian designer in blue and yellow, while sitting outside the Russian embassy in her city. A less calming activity.

Pamela said...

The autumn colors are gorgeous! I love seeing your Ukrainian stitching.

Marly said...

You always post such wonderful garden photos; even the autumn ones are beautiful, even though they're not so colourful. Your embroidery makes up in colour for the duller world outside. Thanks for the bookmark link. I intend trying this .... sometime!

Needled Mom said...

Fall really has such wonderful colors. Your cross stitch is looking great. It is so relaxing.

Vivian said...

I'm still getting used to the fact that as you are moving into Autumn we are moving into Spring. Love that I get to take in the beauty of two season at a time though! How did I miss that you do cross stitch?!? Pretty bookmark! I am hoping to try to do (at least) fifteen minutes a day for Maynia but haven't gotten there yet. Need to pick it up while watching the nightly news shows maybe --- a time when I could use the relaxation!