Friday, July 2, 2021

Memorial

This is a stained-glass window in the church where we held the memorial service for my father this afternoon. It is dedicated to the Welsh miners who built the church in the 1860s.
 

This is also the only photo that I took on the day.

 

Part of the preparation I had to do was a photo slideshow. Here are a couple of the photos I included:

My parents with me:


My parents with my son:

 

I also had to speak about Dad. I wrote out what I was going to say, so that someone else could take over if I was too emotional. But fortunately I made it through to the end.

I think the service went OK. We were lucky that the forecast rain held off and we were able to get Mum to the church and back home again in fine weather. A few people had wanted to attend via zoom, but unfortunately an incorrect password was given, so most of them missed out, including my brother who was in lockdown in Alice Springs. The screen that showed the photos was very dark, so most of the detail of the slideshow I'd carefully assembled couldn't be seen. And as masks are still compulsory indoors, the singing was quite strange!

Most importantly, Mum was happy with the service, and really the whole thing was for her benefit. Dad hadn't wanted a funeral service at all, but the people who are left behind need to do something to mark someone's passing.


11 comments:

jacaranda said...

Pleased that your father’s memorial went well, despite a couple of hic ups. Even though he didn’t want anything, others were given the chance to say goodbye.

Julierose said...

That is a beautiful stained glass window commemorating the miners...happy to hear that the service went off well. Amazing that you got through the speech...I just couldn't speak at Mom's --my son stood in for me--luckily it was before all this lockdown hit...5 years this past June now...time marches on.
I hope that you can feel some closure now...such a difficult time. My thoughts are with you...hugs, Julierose

ButterZ said...

That’s a tough job, speaking about a parent. It’s all too very hard..

Laura said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Pamela said...

A difficult day, I’m sure. Those two family photos are so sweet.

Jeanette said...

Beautifully done. You have created a wonderful thing for your Mother despite it being so challenging and full of difficulties. Now it is time for a bit of self care.

Marie Králová said...

Nice commemorative photo.
Mother must have enjoyed worship in the beautiful setting of the church. M.

Vivian said...

My heartfelt condolences on your loss. It is hard to lose a loved one but even harder during this pandemic. Hold your Mum close and share your memories so he lives on in your hearts.

Needled Mom said...

Well done to get through the entire talk! I doubt I could do it. I’m sure your mum was pleased with how it went. I’m sorry about the zoom aspect not working.

chris said...

I agree with you, the service is for the living - it helps with the grieving. As we loose our parents, we really become the grown-ups - not sure I'm ready for that yet. Glad your Mum is still with you - you're not all grown-up yet.

hetty said...

Oh Vireya. So sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest condolences. Glad you were able to make it through the service. It's a difficult thing to do. You are strong.