Friday, March 12, 2021

Catching Up on March So Far

There has been a bit going on, but I seem to have got out of the blogging habit. Here's a few happenings of the month so far.

The white belladonna lilies opened:

They will probably have faded by the time I do my garden round-up on Monday. This photo was taken on the 5th.
 

We had a field naturalist's outing to Geelong on the 7th. We saw all sorts of fascinating coastal vegetation such as this Grey Samphire (Tecticornia halocnemoides):

Obviously not grey at this time of year. 

And the Grey Mangroves (Avicennia marina):

Also not actually grey.

And lots of water birds:


The 10th March was my parents' 65th wedding anniversary. This is not an event we expected to be celebrating, as earlier in the month my mother was thought to be dying. She doesn't look in great health in this photo:

But it is the first time she had been out of bed and in her wheelchair in over a week. A vaccination team visited her nursing home on the 4th to deliver the first round of the covid vaccine for the residents, but she wasn't offered it as she was too ill. Maybe she will have her first one when the rest of the residents get their second one, if she is still with us.

 

Also on the 10th, we had 8 kookaburras come to visit in the morning:

The chooks are having a tour of the front "lawn", moving to a different part of it each day. The kookaburras are sitting on their temporary fencing.

The chooks weren't impressed that some food was thrown to the kookaburras!


One of my orchids has thrown up a flower spike:

It has flowered in winter/spring in previous years, so this was a surprise. Perhaps being in the shade house has confused it about the time of year.


Another "time of year" confusion:

A bunch of peonies open right now. I had half a dozen buds left in the fridge which I had forgotten about, so here they are, as if it was spring rather than autumn.


And finally, today I basted my WOOFA (working on or finishing a ...) project for this month, my small Frolic that was assembled in March last year.

While I was at it, I pieced a backing for Trail Mix and basted it as well:

It's only been a top since October. It will probably be my WOOFA project for next month.


So that's March so far!







9 comments:

jacaranda said...

Very sad to hear of your mum’s ill health. Thinking of you all. I love kookaburras. Memories of feeding them on the concrete table in our backyard when I was a child.

Julierose said...

Sorry your Mom had to miss out on her shot and that she's not feeling well. Quite an event--65 years!!
Very pretty blooms...we are looking forward to spring's emergence here. hugs, Julierose

hetty said...

Beautiful fall blooms! The buds in the fridge - do you store them there as cut stems? I am curious. Sorry to hear of your mother's illness. Hope she will be fine again soon. Wow! 65 years! Sending my congrats.

Pamela said...

Congratulations to your parents on 65 years! Hope your mother gets to feeling better. I love seeing your flowers and birds.

Marie Králová said...

Also from me a big congratulations on the anniversary of 65 years of living together. I wish your mother good health.
Beautiful flowers pleased my eye. Marie


Jeanette said...

As always, beautiful flowers. Congratulations to your parents, quite an achievement in the circumstances. Did they get their message from the Queen or was she too distracted by her own family?

Cheryll said...

Firstly "congrats" to your parents...& hopefully your Mum is feeling a little stronger.
THanks for a lovely visit of your garden and outing.
Fingers crossed for a finish in WOOFA too...xox

ButterZ said...

Wow, you have Trail mix basted... your flowers are great. I love all those kookaburras. Too bad for the chooks missing out on a feed. Well done to your parents.never moment is cherished...

Ivani said...

Hope your mother is better, Vireya.
Beautiful flowers and birds pictures. Love the fridged peonias and the orchides. Happy and safe autumn.