Saturday, March 20, 2021

Isolation

A few days ago we used up our monthly internet data allowance. When that happens we get "speed limited" for the rest of the month - meaning accessing anything on the internet is almost impossible. Fortunately my phone has a data allowance that I rarely use. So this morning I had my phone as a data hotspot to allow me to use my computer to join my first ever Zoom meeting:

I have sat in on a couple of Zoom sessions before, but this was the first time I had to actually join the meeting from my computer. It was an interesting experience. I would not have travelled to Melbourne for the meeting, but joining in from home was relatively painless. But I didn't feel like I had actually participated in anything. Most of the participants seemed to know each other, but I have met only 3 of them in real life. No-one said "hello", or interacted with me, apart from one person asking how my name is pronounced. So in some ways I felt more isolated than I would have if I hadn't joined the meeting at all.

In the afternoon I went to visit my mother, but she was fast asleep so I didn't disturb her. I had taken my sewing kit with me to fix a bit of the binding on her quilt that was coming loose, so I did that and left without her ever knowing I was there.

As I was in town anyway, I went to visit my sister, but that was my third alienating interaction of the day. There are a lot of topics we don't discuss because we just have opposite points of view. And today I found a few more.

It was actually a relief to spend the rest of the day at home, really on my own. I did a bit of quilting while listening to an audiobook in splendid isolation.


6 comments:

jacaranda said...

I have been on a few zoom meetings, but it’s hard as certain people do all the talking and you can’t get a word in.....so I don’t speak. I find it easier to spend time by myself.

Jeanette said...

Good etiquette in Zoom meetings is not always well practiced. I have had reasonable experiences so far but much prefer real life get togethers. You are fortunate to be able to enjoy time by yourself.

Julierose said...

Sometimes your own company can be the best--I only have done one Zoom meeting and my daughter and family talked mostly. I find it easier to spend time by myself too...
hugs julierose

Pamela said...

I have not taken part in any type of zoom meetings and I’m okay with that. Family interactions and disagreements can be the most difficult. Staying home with my stitching and an audio mystery is good for me too.

Wendy said...

G'day Vireya,
Know exactly how you felt.

Cheers Wendy

hetty said...

I understand what you mean. I'd rather be alone than join a zoom meeting.