Thursday, October 22, 2020

Peonies

This is my Coral Charm herbaceous peony about a week ago. I think there are 25 or 26 buds, so it will be an amazing display. I will have to put some in the fridge again this year, to enjoy later.

 

Today both my tree peonies opened their first flowers.

One of these is Vesuvian, and the other is an unknown variety rescued from a garden about to be bulldozed in Melbourne. Apart from blogger not wanting to let me enlarge one of these photos, they look pretty much the same. They are both very dark red, and hard to photograph well.

Quite luscious looking! I remember which bush is which, but I would never be able to tell by the flowers. (The first photo is the rescue bush.) Both of them have multiple buds about to pop open.


My other herbaceous peony, "Lady Bird" which was planted last year, will have white flowers, but it is still very small and doesn't have any buds this year. You might think that is enough peonies, but someone succumbed to an online special offer and purchased an extravagant number of herbaceous peonies this year, so in future years there will be many more peonies to enjoy.

6 comments:

Jeanette said...

Obviously you have the perfect spot for peonies against the garden wall. Enjoy the fantastic display.

Julierose said...

These are stunning--I love deep red/maroon flowers...
I used to have some that color--but they wouldn't take here in this house...I guess they can be pretty particular..I only have a blush white one...
Hugs, julierose

hetty said...

Stunning!

Kathy S. said...

Oh how I LOVE the smell of peonies. Your deep colors are gorgeous!

jacaranda said...

The deep colour is beautiful. You will have to post a photo when all those buds are flowering.

Laura said...

Your peonies are beautiful!