Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Encounters

 An unexpected sight early this morning:

It is a bird we haven't seen here before, an Australian king parrot.


Later in the day we visited a self-guided, pop-up wildflower walk in the Woowookarung Regional Park:

There were explanatory signs beside the various flowering plants, except for this one which I had never seen before:

I was able to find out through iNaturalist later that it is Comesperma ericinum, a plant with a few different common names, including heath milkwort, and pink matchheads.

 

As I was photographing the flower, a medium-sized ant gave me a very painful bite on the ankle. I didn't take the opportunity to do an iNaturalist observation of it, I was only interested in getting it off me! (Three days later my ankle is still swollen, red, and sore.)


Three new and interesting encounters with the natural world!

6 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Oh dear! That sounds nasty! I hope it heals quickly.

Julierose said...

Ouch--that doesn't sound good, Vireya...;000

Take care hugs, julierose

Jeanette said...

The king parrot population around here is quite large. They appear to have no fear of humans! Gorgeous birds.
Sorry to hear about the ant, a really nasty one as it turned out. No idea why they want to attack us so viciously.

hetty said...

love the King Parrot. Hope your ankle is healing.

jacaranda said...

Hope your ankle is feeling better. On our walk yesterday noticed we have signs along the waterfront for orange bellied parrots. Still to see one.

Laura said...

Ouch! Hope your ankle is better by now.