Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Roots

Back in May, I was given a bunch of African violet leaf cuttings, which I popped in little pots:

The flowers were there just to remind me which were which until I could label them.

Since then they have been in an old (1970s) Decor defrosting container,
 sitting in the bay window so they get lots of light.

Ever since I have been inspecting them regularly for any signs of new leaves growing. I've read that leaves take 2 or 3 months to appear, so I'm being a bit optimistic. However look what I have just found:

It might be hard to see what that is, but there are tiny roots appearing above the surface of the potting mix on two of the leaves. Why are roots growing upwards? I don't know, but I hope that means there are more roots growing downwards as well. These leaves are both from the same plant, and in the top photo they are the two on the left, with a purple and white flower. There is no sign of growth on any of the other varieties yet, but these little roots have got me quite excited!

7 comments:

Jo said...

That's cool to watch them growing. Fingers crossed the plants will grow and flower well.

Julierose said...

I've never seen that happen before...but they are growing...so that is good...hugs, Julierose

jacaranda said...

You have a green thumb, I had every faith in your violets growing for you, very satisfying.

Pamela said...

Woo hoo! You are very patient.

Jeanette said...

Excellent strike rate, 2 out of 2. The roots may be growing up because of the angle of the leaves in the growing medium. They probably like the warm humid conditions you have made for them too.

Cheryll said...

Fingers crossed for your violets... great job by the way...xox

Marie Králová said...

I wish successful cultivation of violets.
Marie