Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Transferring Skills

I've been stuck on my Rajah Revisited quilt for quite some time. Since October last year to be exact. Four months of no progress because of this:

The flower with skinny pointy petals which is meant to be appliquéd in each corner of the second border. With skinny pointy points that are beyond my current appliqué skill level.

Today it suddenly struck me that I could try making these petals using the interfacing technique I've been using for the Lori Holt Bloom quilt. So I made a couple of test petals, but even with trimming away almost all of the seam allowance my points were lumpy and ugly looking.

Then another idea hit me, and I looked through the Bloom templates and the templates from the Amanda Herring Friendship quilt. I found that one of Amanda's templates was the same length as the Rajah petals, just a bit wider:

So I made a couple more test petals, and I think I can get a sharper point with these slightly fatter petals. I'm going to give it a go, anyway!

I found diamonds on this fabric in the colours I wanted to use for the petals, so now I have 24 petals ready as my next hand-sewing task.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Clever use of the cheater fabric. Although now you will need to reverse appliqué to fill in the holes if you want to make a cheat quilt.
Fabric pens were made to make points look sharp. Used by the best appliquérs.