Saturday, September 19, 2026

Repeats

 I'm still working on my half-square triangles, but they don't make interesting blog posts.

I have about 100 to go.
 
I'm not going anywhere much at present because of the cost of petrol. It almost feels like lockdowns did; staying home and only going out for grocery shopping when necessary. It is the one down-side of living in the country. Nothing is within walking distance, and there is no public transport.
  
Last night was a bit warmer, and I put out my moth light again. I was very happy to find this one just as I was about to pack it away again: 
 
It's a shame I didn't put anything beside it for scale. It is a Helena Gum Moth, and it is about 150mm, or 6", across. I don't see them often so am always happy when I do.
 
The blossom in the orchard still delights me every morning when I let the chooks out: 


 Anyway, that's life here. Lots to enjoy, but not much variety in the blog posts!

4 comments:

Pamela said...

What an incredible moth! What is a moth light and how do you use it?
Your half square triangles are gorgeous. You have a nice variety of fabrics.
Until I went away to college, I lived out in the country - the town was 3 miles away. There are definitely advantages to living in the country, but the high price of gas does make it difficult now.

Marly said...

That’s certainly one big moth! The ones we have there are about 1” across; quite tame in comparison. From its name I take it its habitat is gum trees? Do they devour the leaves, leaving you with denuded trees? like a swarm of locusts. Good luck with the HSTs; a project that takes perseverance! Have a good week and keep publishing your beautiful flowers.

Maria said...

You've posted some cute wild life in your past posts.
we often have Kangaroos visit and drink from a birdbath on the verandah.

Needled Mom said...

Your mother is stunning. I’ll bet you are loving having the spring awakening in the garden.