Saturday, July 15, 2023

Red Bits

 The RSC colour for July is red, so I whipped up a couple of red heart blocks:

As I was putting them away I realised I never posted photos of the orange blocks I made back in May, so here they are too:

I didn't make any hearts in June because the colour wasn't something I needed for this quilt.

I had a look around the garden for red things, but there isn't much happening at this time of year. This coprosma cultivar has red leaves all year, but they look particularly good when the sun shines on a winter day:

Reddish leucadendrons:

Correas:
Salvia hanging on through winter so far:
Flowering quince getting ready for spring:

I finished assembling the last charity quilt top:

Regular readers may notice the odd green block is missing. That was my guilty secret - I decided not to use it. And then I went to our quilt group meeting and was handed several squares that someone else had "left over" from a top they had assembled. So now I have this lot of odd blocks:

It looks like there may be one more LAST quilt top to come, if I can think of a way of making these work together.


Another red thing - this "mad cap for skiing"I saw in an exhibition at the Bendigo gallery last month:

Sadly the date of the magazine isn't in focus, and I can't remember what it was exactly. Do I need to try and find the pattern and make it?

I wrote most of this a week ago, but left it as a draft and didn't get back to it. So I will link it to the next SoScrappy RSC link-up, rather than last week's.

And here is the link-up: Scrap Happy Saturday


6 comments:

Pamela said...

Your heart blocks and blue charity quilt look great! I love your garden pictures and look forward to seeing them and what is there each month.

Jeanette said...

I suggest you find a red wool jumper at an op shop. Wash to felt slightly then cut appropriate shapes from the body and sew the beanie. Finally cut out eye holes and blanket stitch around. Much quicker than finding the pattern and knitting. You could make some matching mittens from the sleeves.
Good luck with what you think is the last quilt.

Maria said...

Lovely Red Hearts to go with your orange ones...
Always beautiful blooms in your garden.
Great job with the community quilt and I'm sure you'll find a pattern touse up the odd blocks.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Heart blocks are so classic and your RSC heart quilt will be awesome! Your comfort quilt is pretty in blues and yellows and the 'odd balls' will look great together as they compliment each other.

Julierose said...

Both your heart blocks are so pretty in the reds and oranges...They will make such a pretty rainbow quilt all together...
such beautiful red blooms in your garden spots!! I snapped a quick shot of the start of my daylilies blooming period before the deer scent them out and eat them all up for dessert!!
Very humid here today and close--also we are getting some of that wildfire smokiness...air is not good...In the AC for me hugs, Julierose

Ivani said...

Lovely flowers and heart blocks. Charity quilt looks beautiful. Well done, Vireya.