Friday, June 30, 2023

Good-bye June

Here we are at the end of the June already. 

At a sit and sew day I was handed some more blocks for the charity quilts. Most of them I could pass on to other people to turn into quilts, but I ended up with 10 blocks left over. I decided to make a few more myself to sew up just one more quilt. Here they are pinned up after I had made a few extras:

And here they are today, with still a few more required to make a quilt top:
I'm worried about that green one in the top corner. I don't think I can make look like it belongs. Perhaps I will end up with one block left over after all.

 

A few months ago it became obvious that this tree beside the garden-water tank had died:

The guy in the hi-vis vest is one of 2 men who came to take down the tree before it could fall and do a lot of expensive damage.

Not a job I would want! I couldn't even watch most of the time.

Fortunately the job was accomplished safely, with no damage to people or property. 


There's not a lot of colour in the garden at the moment. The last autumn leaf has fallen since I took this photo:

We haven't had enough frost yet to knock back the salvias, so this eastern spinebill is one of the birds still enjoying the nectar:

And the first of the bulbs are appearing:

Jonquils above, snowflakes below.

Happy end of the financial year!







4 comments:

Julierose said...

I quite like your quilt blocks--I know just what you mean about fitting the greenish one in with the others--my pink, green, and yellow pavement blocks are not playing very well together for me!! S i g h...
hope you have a great weekend...hugs, Julierose

Jeanette said...

The green block does not belong in this quilt. It is another quilt, you just have to make all its friends. He he he.
Know what you mean about tree work, not for the faint hearted. Good to hear the garden was otherwise unaffected.

Pamela said...

This will be a pretty quilt. The flowers are pretty, but I especially like the spinebill. Climbing that tree looks scary.

Vivian said...

Ooh, loving the blue quarter log cabin blocks! Re "greenie": Three choices for that one --- leave it in but somewhere in the center as that one oddball block you always see in antique quilts -or- make two more and sprinkle them in as a "design decision" -or- take it out and add it to the label on the back!

Great you got that tree out before it fell on its own and caused real damage! Always fun to watch when they have to take it down "from the top".