Monday, October 31, 2022

Imaginary Blog Posts

So for the last little while I have occasionally taken photos for a blog post, then not written that post. So here are a few of the things I didn't get round to posting.

The 29th September was my 13-year blogiversary. My first post in 2009 was of aphids on a rose bud. But here the climate is a bit different, and the roses hardly even had leaves at the end of September, definitely no buds. However, tulips are budding at that time:

And daffodils are flowering:

On the 8th October I attended a quilting meeting, and a few other people brought along their blocks for the birthday quilt I made blocks for in September. Here are most of the blocks laid out:

They looked pretty good! (I think I have a photo somewhere of the whole top assembled. Will have a look for it.)

Also on 8th October, the crabapples were looking great,

I had a couple of magnolia flowers,
and pots full of tulips looking lovely:

 

On the 9th of October we had a field trip, and on the way home saw a sign pointing to Nimon's Bridge, so took a side trip to check it out:

It is an old rail bridge, now just for walking across. Next time I will take the path that leads to the bottom of the bridge, as it is probably more spectacular from down there. The view from the top was pretty nice, but I didn't photograph it.

On 13th October I started quilting my Positivity quilt:

It was a good day for it, as this terrible photo of the weather station shows:

27mm rain that day.

On 22nd October, I sewed down the binding, and Positivity was officially finished:

Closer view of the quilting:

 

Just found the photo I was sent of the birthday quilt blocks assembled ready for quilting:

Made by 8 different people. I'm glad I didn't have the job of assembling it. There were the usual issues of blocks not being all the same size, which for a design like this was a bit of a problem as you don't want to trim blocks and lose the points. But I think the assembler did a good job of making it all work. I hope the person it is for loves it!

The last 4 days of October were a bit mad, as we participated in the Great Southern BioBlitz, trying to do as many iNaturalist observations as possible. But I did take the time to notice on 31st October that my tree peony flowers are beginning to open:

Also October was the wettest month ever since we moved here, with a total of 115.4mm! Everything is mud and the lower half of the block is under water.


That's it for all the posts I didn't write in October. I'll see if I can do better for November.








6 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

Well it was a good post for us with lots of colour and interest x Sometimes the good intentions of blogging get lost in the everyday life …. Off to see what I have been “meaning” to post about x lol

Ivani said...

I miss your posts, Vireya. As always beutiful flowers and lovely quilts: the birthday quilt you did a great job assembling it and I love the colors you use for Positivity quilt, and the quilting looks perfect.

Jeanette said...

I thought all that happened in October was the rain. But obviously you did so much more. The birthday quilt looks wonderful as do your flowers. Like the railway bridge too, worth further exploration.

Needled Mom said...

I hope our rainy season will bring excess rain for us. Positivity looks great as does the birthday quilt. Enjoy your spring blooms.

jacaranda said...

So many interesting events to blog about. I have missed seeing what you have been up to.

Vivian said...

A very happy belated Blogaversary! I always enjoy seeing your garden at the opposite ends of the seasons: your Crabapple is flowering while here ours is in full fruit and we're harvesting the apples. "Positivity" is positively beautiful! The birthday block quilt will also be another scrappy beauty when it's done.