Wednesday, February 16, 2022

The Garden in February

I started taking flower photos yesterday, but didn't get all the way round the garden. The photos in bright sunshine were taken yesterday. Today is more overcast, which is why the rest of the photos are in more gentle light. 

Honeysuckle:

 

Parrot's beak (Lotus berthelotii):


 The wisteria has a few unexpected summer flowers:

When I took these photos yesterday, there were several waterlily flowers open in the fish pond. But I managed to mess up the only photo I took:
And today when I tried to get a better one, there are no open flowers.

Two of the crepe myrtles are flowering, and both of them are this colour:

One of the others has buds, so maybe it will be in flower next month. The remaining two don't look like they will flower this year.

Most of the roses are not in flower at the moment, but there is a bloom here and there:


This is the annual bed late yesterday:

And here are some of the individual flowers photographed today in less harsh light.

Zinnia:

Foxglove:
I love the colours of this delphinium:

Nigella:

Cosmos:
Amazing almost black hollyhock:

 

Phygelius aequalis "Yellow trumpet" is lucky to still have flowers:

I watched a couple of crimson rosellas biting off the flowers to get at the nectar recently.

Fuchsia:

A newish buddleia, with lots of buds coming:
Alstromeria:

Gazanias:

I missed a few. There are pelargoniums, salvias, and penstemons with flowers that I didn't photograph. I forgot to check if there were any abutilons. I couldn't find any open dahlias, although some of them have been flowering over the last week or two. But I did find this Australian Garden Mantis in the lavender:

That's it for February. I hope by March the march flies will be gone and I can spend more time in the garden uninterrupted. (That linked article talks about them being a problem at the beach, but there are more march flies here than I have ever experienced anywhere else.)


6 comments:

Jeanette said...

So much colour in your garden, you have been doing a great job keeping plants happy despite the pesky flies. Your annual bed is a real treat and I agree with your assessment of the delphinium. Heaven.

conny's quilts en creaties said...

Such loveley flowers you have. I'm longing for spring. Here we still have winter, rain is pouring and storm is coming. Your flowerpictures brighten my day!

Julierose said...

What stunning colors --I find flowers so inspiring and comforting. Your garden is a-riot with beauties...thanks for sharing--
outside here we are blanketed in frozen white snows with black/brown trees dancing across blue, blue skies in the winds...brrrr...
hugs, Julierose

Laura said...

Beautiful flowers! Thanks for posting them.

Pamela said...

The variety of flowers is fabulous. You could charge admission and give tours. I’d pay to see them in person.

Marie Králová said...

These are beautiful flowers and colors. You have a great garden. It's cold, it's raining and it's stormy. Marie