Friday, May 8, 2020

Observations

Just realised it is nearly a week since I did a blog post. What have I been doing?

Apart from my one quilt block a day, I've done little bits of this and that, but I really don't know where the time went.

One thing I have been doing is adding observations to iNaturalist. While wandering around our property, or taking the dogs out, I keep an eye out for little bits of nature to photograph and add to the site. Here are a few of this week's observations.

A skink sunning itself:
I now know it is a Pale-flecked Garden Sunskink, Lampropholis guichenoti.

An interesting bird battle seen while out walking:
Magpies chasing off a galah. I don't know what threat a galah might be to magpies, but they swooped it and chased it for quite some distance.

I didn't have to travel far to see this one:
A superb fairywren after a bath in my birdbath this morning.

Autumn is peak fungi time. I don't know much about them, and it is hard to get them identified, but someone at least identified the genus of this one for me as Laccaria:

As well as adding my own observations I find it interesting to explore observations from all different corners of the world, and to see if I can identify anything. (Usually only garden plants.)



5 comments:

jacaranda said...

Love colour of the fungi. We have 2 juvenile magpies visiting us at the moment.

hetty said...

Hi Vireya. I'm back, sort of anyway. Glad I am able to view your blog again. All creatures and fungi I am not familiar with. Visiting you is like getting an education.

Pamela said...

The fairy wren is adorable! What a sweet little creature.

Turid said...

Fun to see the nature around you. We sat in the garden last week, and suddenly we heard some noise. Two eagles quarreled with a crow. One of the eagles tried to take the crow, but it escaped. Have a nice weekend.

Jeanette said...

What an adorable bundle of fluff on you birdbath.

Being confined does make us look more closely at our own surroundings and finding out a little more adds to the experience.