Wednesday, September 24, 2014

What's in Flower - Last Day

Today is the last full day I will own my house. Many plants have started flowering since I did my "What's in Flower" post for September, so here's a round-up of what is flowering on the last day in my garden:

Yellow gum, Eucalyptus leucoxylon 'Eukie Dwarf'':

Thickleaf aeonium, Aeonium arboreum:

One of the plums still has blossom:

Dusky coral pea, Kennedia rubicunda:

Grevillea "John Evans":

Callistemon:
There are two others with lots of buds but no flowers at the moment.

Flax-lily (Dianella):
Not sure exactly which species of flax-lily this one is.

Only buds on the Cordyline stricta:

This one is not really mine, it grows through the fence from the neighbour's garden. When it finishes flowering I usually cut it back to the fence line.
I've always called it a "may flower", but Google tells me it might be a dwarf flowering almond, Prunus glandulosa. What would you call it?

Jasmine (Jasminum officinale) flowers still looking and smelling wonderful:

Rosemary, not quite in focus. Sorry, it was a bit windy when I took some of these photos.  But at least is wasn't pouring with rain as it did later in the day.

French lavender, Lavendula dententa:

The lavender which grew as a seedling also is a French lavender.
It has much longer stems than the other one. I've taken a few cuttings from it.

Spanish lavender, Lavendula stoechus, has just started flowering:

Verbena "Candy Cane" has one branch where the flowers are not candy canes at all:
I've taken cuttings of this, so it will be interesting to see what colour flowers I get.

Fringe flower, Loropetalum chinense var rubrum,

Bethel sage, Salvia involucrata 'Bethelii', is almost finished:
I've taken lots of cuttings from it, as I haven't seen it for sale anywhere recently. I don't remember where I bought it originally.

If I had known exactly where the bulbs were, I would have dug these freesias up while they were dormant and taken them with me. The huge one (flowers up to 50cm above the ground) with a tendency to strange numbers of petals:
and the unusual variegated one:

Pink Spanish "Bluebells", Hyacinthoides hispanica:

Snowball buds, Viburnum opulus var. sterile:

Red valerian or kiss-me-quick, Centranthus ruber, also only buds at the moment:

Indian Hawthorn, Rhaphiolepis indica:

And finally ipheon stars, or spring stars, Ipheion uniflorum:
The light purple ones are also still in flower, but they tend to look white in photos anyway.

So that's it for my old garden! All these plants except the plum tree and the jasmine were planted by me, or came up of their own accord since the garden has been mine. I'll miss this garden, but look forward to creating a new one from scratch next year.

1 comment:

Dee said...

A fitting way to say goodbye to your ex-garden with a lovely array of photos. Now to the thrill of the new chase!