Saturday, November 24, 2012

Mystery

Zygocactus (Schlumbergera truncata cultivar) in flower - perhaps it is confused. Often called a Thanksgiving cactus in North America because it flowers there now, it normally flowers in May here. But apparently they can flower twice a year.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, Bonnie Hunter has just launched her latest mystery quilt, Easy Street.
Bonnie runs a mystery each year between Thanksgiving and the end of the year. For a few years I have watched on, nervous to participate in making a quilt without knowing beforehand what it would look like, and each time I've loved what she has ended up with. So this year I decided that I will jump in and give it a go, even if I make something smaller than Bonnie does.

Today I pulled out fabrics which match the colour scheme she is using, just to see what I have:
Dark purples, aquas, lime greens, mid-grey and black-on-white prints. (As usual, the camera doesn't love the purple.) My purples are not as dark as those Bonnie is using, and my greens are not as bright. But I might just stick with these rather than choosing a completely different colour scheme. It's tricky when you don't know what it will look like!

2 comments:

jacaranda said...

I love a mystery quilt, might give it a go.

Chiara Z said...

Good luck with the mystery quilt. I too have tended to baulk at that process. I think it's a trust issue of investing in an unknown result. And so odd about the zygocactus, lovely though!