Saturday, October 21, 2017

Delightful Flowers

Last week I noticed three spikes of iris flowers in the part of the garden where the rescued plants were planted two years ago. Actually that photo from October 2015 is so incredible I'll repeat it here:

My first piece of "garden" here! Just a few sad plants and a lot of bare earth.

Anyway, lots of those rescued bulbs and daylilies have flowered since then, but not the irises. Now it is their turn, and the first one opened today:
Photo above with my regular camera, and below with my phone:
The phone comes closer to the real colours.

I don't know if all three iris plants have the same coloured flowers. The buds look pretty much the same (you can see a few tips of buds of the others around this flower, particularly in the phone photo) so they could be the same or they may surprise me.

In the back yard, one of my wisterias is flowering:
I wanted to do a colour comparison on that light purple as well, but I just could not get the phone to focus on the flower at all.

Elsewhere in the garden, my peonies are delighting me. Here is a lovely fat bud on Coral Charm
 It didn't flower last year, so I'm looking forward to this one opening.

And this one I'm very excited about:
That's a tiny bud on the peony rescued from the same garden as the irises. I have no idea what colour its flower might be.


5 comments:

Julierose said...

Don't you just love those iris colors? I love them so pretty hugs, Julierose

MLM247 said...

Until recently I had no idea that iris flowers came in different colours. I knew about yellow and blue, but now I see pictures of many different colours. This pink and maroon iris is wonderful.
And, last week when I watched Costa on the gardening show, what did I see but a plant that has your name. Your parents must have loved flowers as much as you do.

Vireya said...

I saw that segment on vireyas, too. They had some fantastic varieties.

jacaranda said...

Iris are so easy to grow and are a great filler for the garden. I love them.

Wendy said...

Wonderful to see your Peonies doing so well - I had heard they didn't like being transplanted.
Must be the Ballarat Cold Winter!
- My Bearded Irises are all out too - even one's I thought long dead, so must be a good year for them.
Happy Gardening - Wendy