Today I decided to block the flower ball quilt. Once I had cut off the excess backing and batting, the top wasn't as wavy-edged as it had been, but I carried on anyway. However, while it was in the laundry sink, I could tell that at least one fabric's dye was running. The water started to go pink. All my fabrics are pre-washed, but it seems one or two of them weren't washed enough. I was as quick as I could be, but as I finished the washing process I could see a couple of places where a reddish tinge was travelling into the blue background.
After spinning the quilt in the washing machine for a couple of minutes, instead of spreading it out to dry slowly in the sewing room as I had planned, I took it outside into the sun:
You can see the quilting better in this photo I took of the back before the excitement:
Later I squared up the top. That was an interesting process. A circle filled with distorted hexagons doesn't give you a lot of help with cutting perpendicular sides.
By the end of the day, the binding was attached, so now I have some hand work to do at my next sewing day out.