Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Making the Australian Quilt 1800 - 1950

Trip to Melbourne to see a fantastic exhibition
at the National Gallery Victoria - Federation Square, until 6th November.
Wonder what they do with these banners after the exhibition?

The exhibition is marvellous! Wonderful quilts, fascinating history, displayed so that you can get a good view of everything. The gallery wasn't very busy, so I could spend as long as I wanted looking at each piece. And for some, that was quilt a while! I enjoyed examining the details, seeing the choices the maker had made when there wasn't enough of a particular fabric to complete a design, or how a maker had assembled patterned fabrics to make a unique design. 

I bought the book:
which is packed full of photos and info. It includes a few things that weren't on display, like this fabric on the back of one of the quilts:

I love the shapes, which would make an interesting quilt in themselves. Then I wonder why there is no Welsh symbol around Queen Victoria?

The gallery is selling a couple of silk scarves with images of quilts, but they were a little out of my price range. But I consoled myself with this remnant of patchwork-themed silk/cotton fabric from Tessuti, which I will turn into a scarf:

Also at the gallery another exhibition, Glenn Murcutt: Architecture of Faith, opened today. It is a fascinating inside look at the design of a new mosque under construction in Newport. It looks like a beautiful building, so I hope I can go and see it in person once it opens.

No comments: