Monday, January 5, 2015

Mystery Finale

Yesterday I got the mystery quilt to the stage where the blocks and sashing were webbed together:
Here it is draped over the ironing board last night. You can see that the horizontal seams haven't been sewn yet.

Today I got those seams done, so here it is hanging on the clothes line, a bit hidden by the garden:

I couldn't get a straight-on shot because of where the plants are:
I've done a 3 x 3 arrangement of the blocks, which gives me a top of 120cm x 120cm, but as you can see I haven't added borders yet. Because my quilt is smaller, I can't just do Bonnie's borders. If I add the narrow inner border, I will end up with a measurement that isn't divisible by the size of the outer border units. I can see three options:

1. Don't add the inner border:

2. Add the inner border, and extend it to the edges of the quilt:

3. Add an extra something in the middle of each side to make the border fit. For example, adding a 5cm-wide piece (ie half the width of a border unit) to the centre of each side would allow for narrow borders of 2.5cm.

I'd be interested to know what other people think. Which option do you think would look best? Or can you think of a different option?

When Bonnie posts the final link-up for this mystery, I'll add the link to this post. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's tops, especially those who chose completely different colours.

Here's the link-up!

And that brings us to the end of another Quiltville mystery. Thanks, Bonnie, it has been great fun!

24 comments:

AnneClaudine said...

Looks sparkling!

Maria said...

Looks magnificent!

Elni Langeveld said...

I have the same issue with my four by four setting. I will add a 0.5 inch (1 inch cut) inner border and than the pieced border. I like your option two.

Joy V said...

I also like option 2. I'm still not sure about the sashings on the actual quilt.

Sherry said...

I think adding the "extra" border to make your final border fit would be great. The fabric you show really helps the other fabrics pop.

Wonderful job, thank you for showing it.

Feathers in my Nest said...

Just Beautiful.

Jeanette said...

Congratulations Vireya on getting it all together, looks quite different with the strong contrasts you have. I agree with Joy in that you need a break between the blocks and the outer border.

Shirley said...

I love this one, it sparkles!

Karabeta said...

You chose your fabrics well, looking good!
I decided on a 4x5 block setting and don't know what I'm going to do. On the 5 block sides the border will fit, on the smaller sides it won't. But first things first, I'm still assembling.

Florence said...

i love love your quilt,,,,,,,i like option two ,,,but its your quilt darling, make it for you,,,,,,i will be doing these mysteries forever now that i have done this first one,,,taking time off from work has helped me do these things i love. Your growing your plants in pebbles,,,will you be using them for medicinal purposes, very interesting it is....for some reason, i only made 20 of the centers for the first 25 squares to be put together, so i had to use only black and turqoise, and last night the ole iron decided to not want to live in my house anymore, lol,,,,,,so i only did a little, Happy Day to u,,,,,

Judy in Missouri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judy in Missouri said...

Your quilt looks great and I like your option 2 to make the borders work. I also someone else's with the same issue. They had added a small strip between the two center border blocks, using one of the same fabrics. It blended in just fine.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

I too like option 2 to make the border pieces that you have already made work. Congratulations on another very successful project.

Andee said...

I just lobbed off the half a block I had that didn't fit. I was too tired to think of options..I have three borders to attach (they are all made) tonight!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I like your final option, very nice with just three blocks across. Beautiful quilt.

AfterMath Quilting said...

I like your quilt, but agree you need the inner border. I'm sure you've already tried just adjusting the size. You'll work it out and have a great quilt.

Julierose said...

I like Option 2...this quilt came out so beautifully--I don't know how all you gals can cut all those pieces and sew them so quickly...at any rate. It is a lovely almost finish...hugs, Julierose

Mary said...

My vote for option 2 also. Love your colours, so beautiful

Cherry said...

It's beautiful! Borders - not much help there I'm afraid, I left off the borders on my GI. I do like option 2 though. Good Luck!

Dee said...

It looks beautiful!! I opted to add a couple of other sections to my borders to make them fit. Two of the corners aren't as pretty as they should be, but I can live with it.

Yvonne said...

Looks great - can't wait to see what you decide to do with your borders!

QueenB said...

Looks good I did 3x3 blocks as well, and ended up with a different look for the corners, I added a half block to 2 of them. Different and I like it.

traditional_quilter said...

Your top is looking great! Its very pretty! The 3X3 layout will give you a nice size too. Have a great day!

FawnJ said...

I hope you come to Michigan one day and visit the Grand Hotel. The quilt colors will all be there!