Sunday, March 30, 2014

My Zips

In the "Zips for Bags" workshop yesterday I made three of Nikki's six zip techniques. The idea was to take her standard "Large Tote and Satchel" pattern and customise it, but once you have learnt a technique you could use it in any project. Today I assembled the bag using the zipped sections I made in the workshop.

Here's a zipped gusset added to the top of the bag:

Inside there's an exposed zip on a pocket just the right size to hold a mobile phone securely:

And on the outside there's a "simple" exposed zip pocket across the full width of the bag:
I used polypropylene webbing for the strap, and attached it to the outside of the bag. This was inspired by one of Nikki's class samples. I was aiming for a "not girly" look for this bag. Did I succeed?

5 comments:

jacaranda said...

I have walked the shops for a shopping bag and haven't found one. Do you make a shopping bag for sale? There is certainly a knack for putting in a zip, well done.

Kate said...

Very good, Vireya. I gave up on replacing the zip in my favourite $2 bag and took it to my local repair shop. She did a good job but it was not free!

Nikki said...

Great to see it all finished!! Most importantly, did the 'not girly" person approve of it?

Marly said...

Definitely not girly. Beautifully set-in zips. That's what puts me off making bags and pouches; I don't feel confident around zips in thick fabric.

Mary said...

Wonderful, not girly, very functional bag.