Sunday, July 29, 2012

Fabric Stash

It is Melbourne Open Weekend, and the most amazing place I visited today was Phillips Shirts. I was surprised to find that a business like this still exists in the heart of the city:
Still employing a few machinists and other staff. They still make some shirts in this building they've occupied for 50 years or so. The machinery was interesting, but what caught my eye were the rolls of vintage fabric around the room:
I'd love to get my hands on some of these beautiful silks:
But then beyond the sewing area is the fabric storeroom:
Where bolts of fabric are piled up to the ceiling:
Rack after rack after rack of fabric:
Some of it dates back to the 60s and 70s, and still has the labels showing its origin. I was a little jealous of the woman who showed us around. She is their designer and gets to play among these fabrics every day!

3 comments:

Chiara Z said...

Oh, that would have been amazing. I bet you were a *little* jealous.

CurlyPops said...

Oh wow! I saw that advertised for the Open House event and thought it would be marvellous. Now that's what I call a fabric stash!

kaiteM said...

Couldn't you pop one or two of those fabric rolls down your shirt? extraordinary.